WILKES-BARRE — The city will begin a curbside large item pickup on Aug. 13.
There is a $10-per item or container fee for the service and permit stickers are required.
The pickup will start in South Wilkes-Barre 1 and the Downtown area during the regular collection schedule.
Schedules for each neighborhood will be released in advance and be based on the volume of items collected in the previous neighborhood. The pickups will occur this month, September and October at the rate of one neighborhood a week.
Stickers cost $10 per item or container, with a maximum weight of 65 pounds per container. Each household may purchase two stickers, one for each item or container. Stickers must be attached to each item or container.
Commercial properties and high rises are excluded from the pickup.
Stickers can be purchased at the Tax Office on the first floor of City Hall at 40 E. Market St. between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Stickers also are available at the Hollenback Golf Course on North Washington Street from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Sunday through Saturday. Only cash, checks, and money orders made payable to “The City of Wilkes-Barre” are accepted.
The first round of stickers will be available only for residents in South Wilkes-Barre 1 and the Downtown neighborhoods through Aug. 10. The dates of purchase for other neighborhoods will be announced soon.
• Hot water heaters
• Refrigerators with the doors removed
• Chest Freezers
• Water Coolers
• Containers of household junk not to exceed 65 pounds per container.
Items not accepted:
• Electronics (televisions, microwaves, computers, stereos, etc.)
• Air conditioners
• Car batteries
• Residential waste
• Yard waste.
In order to make the pickup successful, the city provided the following tips:
• All items must be placed at the curbside for collection by 6 a.m. on the day of pickup.
• Stickers must be attached to each item or container.
• Please adhere to the accepted items list.
• The city cannot remove any items from homes or backyards.
• Crews will not return to homes that did not place their items outside in time for pickup
• Please ensure that items are kept off of the street and sidewalk.
• Some streets may require temporary “No Parking Zones” so that all items are picked up.
• Please adhere to posted “No Parking Zones” to ensure that the pickup is safe and efficient.
• If you observe illegal dumping, immediately call 911 and be prepared to provide descriptions of persons, vehicles and/or license plates of those dumping.
Questions about the pickup can be directed to the Mayor’s Helpline at 570-821-1111.