Fire crews quickly extinguish Plymouth building blaze

By Dan Stokes - [email protected]
A fire broke out at this building on West Main Street in Plymouth about 6 p.m. Tuesday. Firefighters reported no injuries, but said they rescued a cat. - Dan Stokes | Times Leader

PLYMOUTH — Firefighters quickly extinguished a blaze before any further damage could be done at a building along West Main Street on Tuesday night.

At about 6 p.m., rescuers were alerted to black smoke pouring out a second-floor window at 222 W. Main St., according to Plymouth Fire Chief Brian Oppelt.

“We arrived on the scene just two minutes after we got the call,” Oppelt said. “We put the fire out within five minutes.”

Oppelt determined the fire was accidental.

“Still not 100 percent sure, but it looks like a power strip” was the cause, he noted.

No one was home at the time of the fire, however a pet was saved.

“One of my firefighters went through the back entrance to the residence,” Oppelt added. “A cat was there to greet him. He quickly scooped him up and brought him down to safety.”

The cat did receive some oxygen from an EMT crew at the scene.

Plymouth fire crews were assisted by a fire apparatus from Hanover Township.

A fire broke out at this building on West Main Street in Plymouth about 6 p.m. Tuesday. Firefighters reported no injuries, but said they rescued a cat.
https://www.timesleader.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/web1_PlymouthFire-2.jpegA fire broke out at this building on West Main Street in Plymouth about 6 p.m. Tuesday. Firefighters reported no injuries, but said they rescued a cat. Dan Stokes | Times Leader

By Dan Stokes

[email protected]

Reach Dan Stokes at 570-991-6389 or on Twitter @ByDanStokes

Reach Dan Stokes at 570-991-6389 or on Twitter @ByDanStokes