Mark Payton, a seventh-round draft pick by the New York Yankees out of the University of Texas in 2014, is in his first full season with the Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders. In 75 games heading into Saturday night’s game against the Durham Bulls, the 25-year-old outfielder was batting .265 with five home runs, 12 doubles, 30 runs scored and 21 RBI.
1. Chicago-style deep-dish pizza only. I refuse to try New York-style pizza.
2. I grew up playing hockey and played in a USA vs. World all-star game.
3. I’m a huge Chicago Blackhawks’ fan.
4. I bought a pair of boots and learned to two-step while going to school at Texas.
5. I tried playing basketball growing up and could never shoot. I also never played a game of football in my life.
6. I love watching comedy movies. Nothing’s better than something or somebody making you laugh.
7. When I was 10 years old I threw my helmet after making an out and my parents made me clean the house with my helmet on my head.
8. I enjoy grilling in the offseason when the weather is cold and snowy.
9. I love listening to live country music and going to concerts.
10. I grew up always wanting to be a physical therapist — until I spent too much time doing therapy on my knee after surgery. Also, I don’t think I could have sat through school for another few years.
— Written for timesleader.com