L.J. Mazzilli, who was acquired in a trade from the New York Mets, is in his first season with the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders. He’s batting .214 with five doubles, five home runs and 15 RBI. Mazzilli has been slotted in as the designated hitter as of late.
Here’s five things you might not know about the RailRiders second baseman:
1. Die-hard Oakland Raiders fan. I grew up a huge Raiders fan and had autographed picture of Kenny Stabler and a poster of Bo Jackson in my room.
2. I’ve had ADHD my whole life, which I look at as a blessing. I have a diagnosed photographic memory, also play music by ear and self-taught myself guitar and piano. That, I think stems from my ADD.
3. I was hit by a car going 25 mph that didn’t see me crossing the street when I was 10 years old. My first instinct was to jump onto the hood of the car and brace for impact. Doctor said the car would’ve ran over me and I probably would’ve died if I didn’t.
4. I was 4-foot-11 as a freshman in high school, 5-foot-6 as a junior and I came back to school 6-foot-1 after the summer before my senior year.
5. My friends and family know me as “the Cookie Monster” because I love homemade chocolate chip cookies and milk. I’ll eat 20 cookies, easy, in one sitting!
Reach DJ Eberle at 570-991-6398 or on Twitter @ByDJEberle