Zack Zehner, who was drafted by the New York Yankees in the 18th round of the 2015 draft, is in his first season with the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders. The outfielder is batting .279 with 19 doubles, three triples, 10 home runs and 41 RBI in 83 games with the RailRiders this season, heading into the weekend series against the Pawtucket Red Sox.
Here’s five things you might not know about the RailRiders outfielder:
1. I really enjoy surfing when I am back home for the offseason.
2. I graduated with a degree in economics and minor in finance from Cal Poly San Luis Obispo and hope to pursue sales after my baseball career.
3. Before starting my career with the Yankees, I was a junior life guard instructor teaching kids about ocean safety and basic first aid skills.
4. Last offseason I was a substitute teacher, teaching math and social sciences to middle schoolers.
5. In the offseason I participate in bocce ball tournaments and am currently ranked third in the state of California.
Reach DJ Eberle at 570-991-6398 or on Twitter @ByDJEberle