WVC football: Hanover Area, GAR fall; Northwest earns first win

By Ed Lewis - [email protected]

HANOVER TWP. — Hanover Area earned its first win in 17 games a week ago by beating GAR. Any hope for consecutive victories ended in the first half against Riverside Friday night.

Riverside scored on four of its five possessions en route to a 42-0 victory at Hanover Memorial Stadium.

It took Riverside less than three minutes at the start of the game to score on a 5-yard pass, capped off by a 26-yard run to end the first quarter.

Hanover Area opened up the second quarter with a three-and-out, giving Riverside good field position on Hanover’s 42-yard line. Nine plays later, Riverside punched it in on a 9-yard run, making it 21-0.

The Hawkeyes (1-3) got a little life in the third quarter as fullback Cameron Coleman was stopped at the line, but bounced outside for 26 yards to Riverside 26.

On fourth down, Aaron Hummer threw in the end zone but the receiver couldn’t hang on, turning the ball over on downs.

The Vikings (3-1) added two more scores in the fourth quarter with a 32-yard pass and a 26-yard run to close out the game.

Western Wayne 42, GAR 7

Kobe Sauter didn’t take long to get started for Western Wayne. And once he did, GAR couldn’t keep him out of the end zone.

For the second time in the opening month of the season, Sauter and the Wildcats ran past a WVC squad. Sauter racked up three touchdowns in the first quarter against the Grenadiers, three weeks after he ran for 157 yards and a score in a 30-20 win over Lake-Lehman.

Sauter had four rushing scores by halftime as the Wildcats led 35-7 at the break.

Rodsheen Ayer got the Grenadiers on the board with time expired in the first half, ripping off a 72-yard touchdown run.

Alex Hollister closed out the scoring for the Wildcats in the second half.

Western Wayne improved to 3-1 while GAR dropped to 1-3 in this, the team’s final season before the Wilkes-Barre schools merge athletic programs.

— Times Leader

Northwest 48, Holy Cross 6

Being back at home for the first time this year made all the difference for the Rangers.

With the school’s new field ready to go, Northwest christened the facility with a decisive victory to pick up the team’s first win of the year.

Quarterback David Piestrak scored three times in the first half — twice on the ground and once on a punt return — as the Rangers (1-3) scored four unanswered touchdowns before halftime.

Holy Cross fell to 2-2 on the year.

— Times Leader


By Ed Lewis

[email protected]